Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Girls Gone Wild at the VMA's! Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga in the Spotlight





Girls Gone Wild at the VMA's!

         I stared at the television screen in complete bewilderment. I squinted my eyes and slowly leaned my head to the left the way Forrest Gump's son did at the end of the movie. It was Nicki Minaj (who I like by the way), at the Video Music Awards; a walking blur of themes and colors, colliding together under a giant Starburst hair hat. In her right hand, was a leash carrying what could only be described as the body parts of various stuffed animals, likely maimed from the twin blades protruding from her Matrix corset. I'm not certain if she took the blue pill or the red pill. And of course, there's the infant-size pink tutu, mismatch thigh-highs and surgical mask (yes, a surgical mask).
          On the opposite end of the spectrum was Lady Gaga, dressed like a guy in Elvis-style garb, apparently symbolic of her androgynous nature. I imagine it must be hard to top last year's arrival in an egg. And then there's Katy Perry who I must thank for finding that missing Rubik's Cube piece that I lost when I was 10 and then making sure she didn't lose it by wearing it on top of her head.
          Still, my teenage daughter thought this was ALL quite normal for them, which made me think that I was REALLY a parent now: completely unconnected to all things pop culture. Not only did I not know half of the 20-somethings bouncing, jumping and gyrating across the stage in dizzying form, I couldn't pronounce their names if I tried. Thank goodness for a good ole' American name like Beyonce who, in true form, stole the show and stunned the crowd. Thank goodness for Britney Spears, who, despite her many public debacles, emerged as a symbol of normalcy, wearing one solid color and delivering an acceptance speech that required no %&*$! bleeps.
          No disrespect to Katy or Lady G or Nicki. I actually like a lot of their music. Between you and I, I'll even sing along if I'm in the car alone. But when o' when does the, Say Yes to the Mess Parade, end? Is this some sort of conspiracy? Is it to torment me because of the hell I gave my parents when I cut my hair like Salt-n-Pepa and dressed like Madonna while practicing the dance moves from Janet Jackson's, Nasty, music video in the bathroom mirror every night before bed? Uh-oh. It suddenly appears like I'm in for it. Apparently, I've got it coming..and then some. What goes around has come back around :-).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally can relate to what you’re thinking. Am I getting to old for this, or is this payback time form what I did to my parents? This is total torture for parents who are my age or older. Pop culture has changed but so does everything else. Was our society that screwed up that we can't keep the normalcy of things, or are "WE" just screwed up that we can't accept art at it's finest? Either way, I am going to need help once my younger kids get to be teenagers. I guess we have to learn to agree to disagree on this one..

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you. Thou my kids are still young and I can sometimes look in the mirror and feel like my parents are staring me straight in the face. Then I come to the realization that I have become my parents. What once has haunted me for years has now become ONE within me. Lord help me, I have become my parents..lol

Nikitta Foston said...

"What once has haunted me for years has now become ONE within me." That is a GREAT line! And OH SO true. I can only think of two words: bo-gus. I wonder...will Jacob, 30 years from now, say the same?? Thanks for commenting and for FEELING MY PAIN!! :-)))

Nikitta Foston said...

Good point! Art at its finest..I accept, but is this what art looks like nowadays? Serioulsy? Perhaps our parents thought the exact same thing...hmmm...? Yep, definitely sounds like payback.

Tyron Foston said...

"Not only did I not know half of the 20-somethings bouncing, jumping and gyrating across the stage in dizzying form"...yep, you're a parent, that just sounds like old...I think I just got older reading that...on snap, where did I put my cane!?

I think it's the whole "gotta be an individual" thing...its a phase. They remind me of the music groups in the 60-70's when looking retarded was considered "IN". I guess a jail break at the Ludamen Center back then would have caused an explosion in new outfits.

Nikitta Foston said...

LMAO! Too funny. Yes, it's official. While you're grabbing the cane, get a walker for me. That is...if you're anywhere CVS. But don't worry, you'll have your turn....times TWO!

marti parham said...

Nice post. Can't wait to hear what Kennedy does to shock you.